Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Thanks...good thoughts helped!

Sienna seemed a bit rough still but a bit more alert when I got home from work yesterday. She still wasn't eating or drinking and when I brought her downstairs she couldn't seem to control that back leg on slippery flooring (now I know why she was staying upstairs where the carpeting was).

Madeline and I administered her anti-inflammatory (a nice way to say we botched getting the pill down her twice but finally managed it with a minimum of choking). An hour later she showed up downstairs in the kitchen. This morning she tried to trip me going down the stairs when I was going to feed them. I am so relieved! Thanks everyone for the good thoughts.

Now...I need some advice. Last spring my mother asked me to knit her a funky afghan for the back of her couch.

I hate it. I hate the colour. I hate the yarns I chose. I hate knitting it. I have about ten inches knit and every single row feels like torture.

Still they say that you should knit something for someone that they want.

But...my parents are back after four months in Florida on the 5th of May and there is NO WAY I'm going to be close to done. And frankly, I'm very pouty about having to do this. I don't tend to knit for others to a deadline. I tend to knit what I like and give stuff away if its appropriate.

So...should I suck it up and knit the damn thing? How should I explain why its not done? Should I just tell her there's no way?

Finally - how do I manage all the associated guilt?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay GOOD about Sienna - I couldn't type with L glued to me but included me in the good thoughts. (L has my left arm at the moment so still typing-challenged). I miss having animals in my life but not the worrying! give her a cuddle for me.

I think you should tell your mom that you are hating knitting the afghan, it's not inspiring you and even if you got through it you would always look at it and remember "having to get through" it. It's not right to pour creativity into something that you despise. And until you're inspired to do it out of LIKE, you just can't do it. It's not a job! and who wants something in their house that was made with all that exasperation. very bad feng shui. :)

froggiemeanie said...

Depends on the type of mom you have. Is she never, ever going to let you live it down if you don't finish it? If so, start sucking it up or change the pattern to hold two yarns together with big needles or *gasp* crochet it instead (faster). If she'll be ok with it, just say you couldn't do it and maybe make her a little something she will like instead (socks?).

Angela said...

I'm glad Sienna is doing better! Having had my own share of kitty health problems in the past year, I know how scary it all can be. Best wishes for continued recovery!

Anonymous said...

Still sending warm healing thoughts to you and Sienna.

As for the afghan, if you're anything like me (and the more I read your blog, the more you seem to be a lot like me!) there's no way that thing is ever getting done if you hate it. Knitting is something I do to keep my sanity and give me joy. Doing something I hate sucks both of those right out. So, the way I see it, you have 2 choices. You either stop doing it, and do NOT allow yourself to feel any guilt about that (because it's your sanity and joy we're talking about here!) or you figure out what needs to change about the afghan so that you'll love knitting it.

Let us know what you decide!

Anonymous said...

Glad Sienna is feeling better (and its always a good sign when they are trying to trip you!). As far as the afghan - you knit for fun, for relaxation, as a hobby. I think knitting as a chore or obligation won't work. I tried it and it just doesn't work. Can you find something that you really like that she likes too? If not - buy her one! People sell them on eBay and Etsy - just don't tell her its not yours :-)