Monday, April 23, 2007

Sienna


In the Fall of 1993 I managed to convince my now-ex husband that we needed another cat because our first cat had clearly decided that he was the favoured owner. I wanted MY cat, the cat that would sit on my lap and play with ME.

So after K’s first tentative yes, I called the local humane society and was told that they had a LOT of kittens. I wish I had had a digital camera because a LOT is an understatement. There was an entire roomful of little brown and black tabbies. That poor mother cat must have had 10 kittens – it was chaos in there. The receptionist unlocked the door and wished me luck.

I knew I wanted another girl cat and was fairly confident in my ability to sex the kittens but who to choose first? And how was I going to separate the boys from the girls so I could choose from them? I was wearing a jacket with long tassels that there were kittens jumping from all sides to play with them.

I had put my purse by the door on the floor. Out of the corner of my eye I saw this little head pop out of my purse and look at me with big green eyes. I scooped the kitten out of my bag…and promptly fell in love.

Sienna will be 14 this year and she is the sweetest and most loving cat I have ever known. I am hoping I will have her for a few more years. Unfortunately on Saturday she didn’t come down to eat (at her age, she may sleep a lot, but she NEVER misses the chance to witness the food hitting the bowl). When I did find her I prodded her a bit to see if she was just sleepy. There was definitely an issue with standing up and it appears that one of her hind legs is collapsing when she tries to walk. I took her to the vet on Saturday and she’s on anti-inflammatories but they don’t seem to be making a difference. She hasn’t budged from underneath the rocking chair since yesterday afternoon. She doesn’t appear to be eating or drinking.
I am worried sick about her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having been where you are a couple of times, I know just how you feel. Sending warm, healing thoughts to Sienna and to you.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I will keep my fingers crossed that things improve quickly and i will send get better soon vibes :)

Anonymous said...

I hope the anti-inflammatories work. I have a 15 year old cat, and I know just how you feel. She had problems walking a few months ago, but then she was fine, and she's still relatively active. I'll cross my fingers that Sienna bounces back - always so hard isn't it?