Yep - I joined Secret Pal 10...mostly cause I like to get mail that isn't a bill or flyer and cause its fun to buy stuff for people that could make them happy.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Soft merinos, silk, alpaca...nothing scratchy (mohairs) -- soft acrylics are good.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
An old old needle holder that belonged to my mother for my straights. DPNs and circs go into a Ziplock freezer bag along with their packaging in case someday I decide to put them away.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Self-taught about 15 years ago. Intrepid intermediate I think.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent?
I'm iffy on scents - either love them or they make me feel ill. I do like more natural smells like lavender or sandalwood.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I'm pretty happy with anything that combines fat, sugar and flour. Throw in some chocolate and I'm yours forever. I'm just THAT easy. And Kit Kat bars are, quite possibly, the most perfect food every dreamt up in a kitchen.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I do spin - very much a beginner. I also do some altered art stuff but that seems to have been replaced by manic obsessive knitting.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Lately I'm on a classical music kick - I don't have enough since I left most of my collection behind when my ex and I separated.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I'm a red girl...brights, jewel tones, deep earth tones that are more in the red family (umber instead of sienna for example). I'm not a fan of dark greens or purples.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Two children (7 yr old boy and 9 yr old girl) - 3 cats
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Um...I live in Canada. So yes, yes and yes. But not ponchos...I'm round enough looking thankyouverymuch. Cause when you wear a poncho and it doesn't "skim" your body so much as stick out from it...well...its just not pretty. Body acceptance and ponchos don't mix.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks, scarves, shawls -- cabled sweaters but mostly for kids.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Three pairs of socks, two scarves and I just cast on a sweater for my daughter.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Now this entirely depends on the handmade gift...half empty jars of homemade jelly your grandmother cooked up 5 years ago? Not so much. Nice handspun? Now you're talkin'.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I have no preference between straights or circs. I prefer metal needles (aluminum I guess)...yes I am coveting KnitPicks options...but the new Addi lace needles are sounding pretty nice too.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Both. I couldn't spin or dye if I didn't. I'm just not patient enough.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
It WAS 10 years old. I found it in the bottom of my quilting bin last year when I was cleaning up. I had designed a red cabled sweater for my now ex-husband. It got frogged...a lot.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I'm not a big holiday person. But if I get a day off work...its all good! I'm a reluctant tree trimmer and I generally opt out of halloween altogether. Bah humbug!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
You mean besides knitting yarn and wool for spinning and needles and patterns and such? Apples...blue glass...sheep-y stuff.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't subscribe but tend to pick up Knitters and Interweave Knits and Spin-off when I see them. Occasionally Vogue Knitting to see what's up - although I'm not a trendy girl and their sizing doesn't work for me. I covet books more than anything and could use some good stitch dictionaries and I am absolutely coveting the Latvian Mittens book. Would love to get my hands on some Noro Kureyon to do a Lizard Ridge. More fingering or dk Bare merino from KnitPicks.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I really need to get my hands on a good fair isle pattern book for mittens and hats...and then...I might try steeking.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am and was shocked when I measured my feet to discover they are about 11 inches around at the widest point - not dainty!! No wonder I can't wear heels. I mostly knit plain socks right now although I keep looking at lace socks. But at that size, I figure I need to alter the pattern to fit and I don't have a great idea of my gauge at the moment.
23. When is your birthday?