2. I have a new obsession – teddy bears. Specifically, teddy bears from Sandra Polley’s The Knitted Teddy Bear. I’ve looked everywhere for this book – and then FINALLY checked my library (love you library!). I can’t recommend this book enough. The best part is that none of the patterns have gauge to stick to. You are knitting it all on the same needle in whatever weight wool you use (she uses DK or fingering throughout) and unless you really can’t keep a consistent gauge – the pieces all end up fitting together nicely. Since I have been struggling mightily to get gauge on a fingering weight fair isle, it is nice to throw caution to the wind and end up with something lovely and antique looking after only a few hours of knitting. Meet Nicolas:
Yarn: Briggs and Little Regal (its a bit heavier than a DK - its a rough wool with a bit of vegetable matter still thrown in) in Forest Brown
Needles: 4.0 mm bamboo
(He needs some work)
3. I have another new obsession: Heroes. OMG. How addictive is that show? I had heard it was good but now…well, my on again, off again ex-bf is holding the downloads hostage so I can only watch at his place. They saved the cheerleader and I’m pretty sure I’m not on the list although I have seen an increase in my knitting speed (that would be my superpower – faster knitting and always getting gauge – I’m not sure how this would benefit humanity but we’d all be warm and cozy). I have an increasingly complicated relationship with my ex-bf now made more so by television. Evil evil television.
4. I’m pleased to announce that my very belated handspun arrived in Singapore. I think Chrissie is the all time swap champion!
5. I have also heard from my SP10 pals – both my spoiler and spoilee…I am plotting! I have a policy to send along as much Canadiana as possible (no, not Patons Canadiana although it does make nice mittens and such – it just isn’t good spoiling yarn) – Jeanne got Laura Secord chocolates and Smarties for the Spin Roving Swap. Chrissie got some Blue Faced Leicester roving to spin from Fleece Artist for the Spin to Knit swap.
6. The weather. I hate to whine (not true I love to whine but I pretend I don’t for the benefit of others), but this warm-cold-thaw-snowstorm thing is really hard on my psyche. I know, it happens every single year. I’m always ready for spring way before it is ready for me.
7. Daylight savings. Three weeks early. What’s up with that? Everyone around is dragging themselves into work because its so bloody dark in the morning. All for what – its not like we’re actually saving daylight or anything. Apparently I am not the only one having waking up problems:
Back to Oliver...he needs your good wishes...assembly can be tricky.