Sunday, February 3, 2008

Blog Post of Reckoning

Today was the day. The day to pull out the knitting basket and find out what the hell is actually IN there. And it wasn't pretty.

But first up - kitchen pics because someone has been asking and who am I to refuse?


The counter is actually a bit more rosy than the picture which makes it warmer than it looks. I absolutely LOVE it and now that it is 99% done I couldn't be happier.

New in the knitting stash

My mom was cleaning out and found a sweater she had started sometime in the 80's. The wool is long since discontinued Laines du Plassard Mousarde - a wool alpaca blend that was probably pretty expensive back then since there was far less alpaca around than there is now. There is a whole lot of this raspberry colour and some lighter pink. There is also a very small amount of shiny pink silk. I had to frog a sleeve and a half - its roughly a worsted weight from what I can tell and I've decided to try a tam from One Skein Wonders.

Next - a lovely package arrived from the most awesomest Secret Pal Angel ever and contained two skeins of SWTC Kara - thanks Lorena!
Some dyed stuff

I also had a few dye days at the end of December -

On the yarn front:

I dyed two skeins ofKnitPicks Bare DK Superwash in coordinating solid and variegated colours.


I also did some coordinating DK in blues and started the Elizabeth Zimmerman Tomten Jacket from Knitting Without Tears - a great and quick knit. Utter genius design.

And another skein of KP Bare Fingering Weight Merino in black and blue stripes.


Dyed rovings

Two 4oz Merino-Tencel rovings

And two 4oz Merino rovings

Lastly - the WIPs in addition to those above...

A couple of second socks

A new homework sweater - EZ EPS sweater for Alex with a cable in the front in a lovely bulky brown wool who's exact name escapes me.

The Mystic Water Shawl KAL - in Infinity Lace Weight from my local LYS. This is supposed to be in blues but I just love the yellows and oranges. The yarn is a bit stiff and shows the stitches just beautifully. I have to confess that I am not entirely in a lace knitting mood - am I the only one who prefers to knit lace in the summer?

Still - I am continuing to plug away at my Mystery Stole 3 - I've finally gotten to the wing and it was a nice change from the rows upon rows of Cat's Paw in the previous section. I do think I will dye the stole another colour when it is complete - I am leaning towards a light turquoise.

There are more FOs but I won't put them all here. Lizard Ridge, the Dale of Norway sweater, felted clogs for my sister's (now past) birthday...

So there it is - the reckoning is done and now I had better sit down and actually knit...after I get over to Ravelry for the all important update there.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen looks waaaaay better! I'm sure your relieved that it's 99% done!

That's quite the stash of stuff there! I like the raspberry coloured stuff from your mom :). Oh - and dying the MS3 turquoise would be cool!

~betseydoodle

Anonymous said...

Very nice kitchen! Your hand-dyed roving is gorgeous - I love the blue/green one. The yarn is beautiful too. Sigh...just too pretty.

Anonymous said...

Bless your little heart for the kitchen pictures! Someone is most appreciative.

I love the raspberry coloured stuff your mom found.

J. said...

ohh very exciting and the kitchen is grat too!

Unknown said...

Pretty kitchen!

I will never, ever, ever, confess to how much stuff is lying around in my stash. What I can think of is shameful enough...add what I've forgotten and I'm sure it's UGLY.

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

My My....someone has been busy with those needles and the dye pot.

I love your kitchen, it turned out so well, I'll bet that you are relieved.

Kit said...

What gorgeous colours and lovely FOs! And a great kitchen too... gratz!

Anonymous said...

love love love the kitchen! and am even more seriously impressed with your knitting skills than ever before. can't even wrap my head around the fact that you can spin and dye like you do. hope it's not too long before I get to come make dinner in YOUR kitchen! :)

Anonymous said...

p.s. I may not be able to knit my way out of a... scarf, BUT had to share that I'm working up to making more curtains (insert applause here? ok, maybe not). For the new basement. Unless you'd like to knit some, it would probably take less time ;)

Lorena said...

I'm so behind in my blog stalking-- I mean, reading! You're so welcome for the yarn (I loved yours, too, by the way). And I have to compliment you; you are totally rocking the dye pot! You have a great eye for color, that's for sure.

Yvette said...

Impressive WIP pile! Award winning stuff. Love the jacket.